How to configure Room Type Smoking Options for Correct Availability?

More
8 years 9 months ago #5819 by NivF007
I'm currently using SolidRes 0.8.1 (not sure about changes in 0.9.0 to this feature).

For 'Room Type' under Publishing, we can toggle Display Smoking Option.

Under Room Type, we can assign the room numbers which correspond to that Room Type.

However, for each room number, there is no option to distinguish whether or not a particular room is 'smoking' or 'non-smoking.'

The resulting problem is that when checking availability, there is no way for the system to distinguish whether or not the available rooms for a Room Type are 'smoking' or 'non-smoking.'

This is important because specific rooms are either always 'smoking' on 'non-smoking,'

I must be missing a setting or the proper way to do this (please let me know the proper way to set this up if I have this wrong).

The only thing I can think of, as a 'work-around' for now is to disable 'Display Smoking Option,' and then divide each Room Type further into 2 categories (e.g. Room Type A now becomes Room Type A - Smoking, and Room Type B Smoking).

Will this would work?

It doesn't seem optimal and doubles the workload in setting tariffs (i.e. one has to configure the tariffs for each Toom Type - so double the room type means double the work - and each Room Type can have many Tariffs set it).

Optimally, I'd like to see that each room has a 'smoking' / 'non-smoking' toggle.

As mentioned, I am using SolidRes 0.8.1 but if there are any changes 0.9.0 beta then I'm happy to switch over.

In the meanwhile, how should Room Types and 'smoking' vs. 'non-smoking' rooms be set up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #5822 by vietvh
Hi,

I understand your concern, however our room type system was designed to group all identical rooms together. By design, if room A is a smoking room and room B is not => they can not be in the same room type.

As you can see the same in booking.com where they have different room types for smoking and non-smoking rooms:

www.booking.com/hotel/jp/millennium-mits...2;type=total;ucfs=1&

Regards,
Attachments:

More
8 years 9 months ago #5823 by NivF007
Hi vietvh,

Thanks again for the prompt response.

Actually, Booking.com is designed to provide 2 options for Room Types and smoking/non-smoking.

For 'Room Types' they are effectively

1) 'Display Smoking Options' = No / Set different Room Types for each Room Type for smoking/non-smoking;

or

2) 'Display Smoking Options' = Yes / Set one Room Type and declare which Room Numbers are 'Smoking' and which Room Numbers are 'Non-Smoking.'

It just doesn't make sense (for the reasons I've already set out) for there to be a 'Display Smoking Options' based on Room Type, and then not be able to distinguish which room numbers assigned to the Room Type are smoking and which are non-smoking.

As you will see in the screen shot and link that you've provided - when you select one of the rooms that is smoking, you are not later given an option to select smoking or non-smoking - such an option wouldn't make any sense since the Room Type is already declared as 'smoking' or 'non-smoking' - no option to choose here!

Conversely, on Booking.com, not all hotels have divided their Room Types based on smoking or non-smoking.

Have a look at secure.booking.com/book.html?hotel_id=41...29607_84445387_0_0=0

Or the attached screenshot

Here, the Room Type is simply 'Queen Studio' (which has both smoking and non-smoking options) - so if Room Type has the option to 'Display Smoking Options' based on room types, the system must be able to know which rooms are smoking and which are non-smoking, and this is the way the Room Type and Smoking Options work in the attached screen shot.

I believe that on review, you will find that this is in fact a 'design error' (I've been wrong before - some I'm not discounting that I'm seeing this wrong) - in fact the system should be designed to differentiate smoking/non-smoking rooms within a specific Room Type.

I'd like to suggest

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

In the interim, I am going to set up different Room Types for the same Room Type for a) smoking and b) non-smoking, but I can't help but consider this a bug/design error.

Best,

Niv
Attachments:

More
8 years 9 months ago #5826 by vietvh
Hi,

Your reason seems valid, we are going to move this in our Feature Request forum so that we can track it better for future implementation.

Regards,
The following user(s) said Thank You: NivF007

Moderators: solidres